There's Treasure Everywhere

An Ode to the Epidural

3 comments


For those of you who love labor stories, here is mine (for the squeamish, I omitted all gory details). I started feeling like I was in labor around 9:00 Thursday night. I told Andy, and we decided to try to sleep for as long as possible. At 12:00 am I woke up with some pretty intense contractions. They were painful and only a couple of minutes apart. I wanted to try to stay at home longer, but I also didn't know how quickly the pain would increase so we got ready to go.

We got to the hospital at 1:30 am. A nurse started going through the laundry list of things to check us in. Although I wasn't very far along in labor, the contractions continued to get stronger and closer together so I got an epidural around 3:30 am. All I can say is I LOVE the epidural. The anesthesiologist gave me a little booster with the epidural so the pain relief was immediate! I cannot tell you how great that was. With no pain left to worry about, and knowing we still had quite a long way to go, Andy and I got to sleep off and on until 7:00 am in the hospital room.

Everything continued to progress and at 10:50 am I was ready to push. The nurse said that the average pushing time for a first time mom with an epidural is 1-3 hours. That seemed like a daunting task, but I was ready for it (again, gotta love that epidural!). Most of the time that I pushed it was just Andy, the nurse, and me in the room. It was a really relaxed atmosphere, and Andy and the nurse were great cheerleaders. The epidural was perfect because although I wasn't in any pain, I could feel just enough to know when I was having contractions so I could know when to push. Almost 2 hours later, little Joey popped out. I say "little," but he certainly didn't seem that little right when he was born. The nurse and doctor both exclaimed what a big baby he was to have just come out of me.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Glad to hear everything went smoothly! Sounds like you handled it like a pro.

Anonymous said...

It's kind of funny that Joey looked like a basketball while you were carrying him, and now seeing how tall he is at birth, you might want to check out basketball camps for his teen years.
We're so glad that the labor was uneventful, our prayers were indeed answered.

yo_mama said...

Who won the guessing game?