There's Treasure Everywhere

The DMV-A Three Hour Tour

6 comments
It's a good thing that I don't really have a life right now since I just spent 3 hours at the Department of Motor Vehicles this morning. The whole time I kept thinking, "This could get really interesting if my water breaks."

I needed to go to the DMV in order to get a California's driver's license and to register our Honda Pilot. California has these crazy strict time frame restrictions about how long you have to get these things done after you establish residency or start a job. Besides that pressure, I wanted to get this done before the baby arrives.

I got to the DMV this morning right after it opened and picked a number. I showed the lady what forms I brought to make sure I had everything I needed. She told me I also needed my birth certificate or passport. I had checked the DMV website the night before to make sure I had everything that I needed, but somehow I missed this. I decided just to stay there, get the car registered at least, and then come back to do the driver's license later.

Even though I got there early, the wait was still about 30 minutes. It was fine though since I was busy reading the California Driving Manual. In California you have to take the written test to get your license renewed when you are from a different state. This made me very nervous because when I was 16 and had to take the written test I missed as many questions as you can while still passing. It was a close call!

Finally, they called my number and I went up to the appropriate window. The man was very nice and thankfully, I did have all the paperwork necessary. Since we bought the Pilot less than a year and a month ago, we had to show proof that we paid sales tax. Then they find out the difference in sales tax from New Mexico to California and we have to pay the difference. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, and he told me that I owed him "fifteen ninety two." I started writing out the check for $15.92, when he stopped me and clarified that it was one THOUSAND, five hundred ninety two dollars. I just looked at him in shock. He must have felt badly for him because he looked at the date we bought the car, and told me that we wouldn't have to pay that if I came back on October 26. He then clearly told me that he couldn't tell me what to do, but asked me if I was canceling the registration. I thanked him profusely and told him that I was most definitely canceling!

At this point it was almost an hour after I got there, and I had accomplished zero of the two things I came to do! I went home (which thankfully was not far away) to get my birth certificate so that I could get my driver's license. I got a number before I left so that part of my waiting time was driving home and back.

When I got back to the DMV I only had to wait about 10-15 minutes more, and then I got called to a window. Everything was going very well until the lady asked for my marriage license. At this point I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I was really confused about why they would need that until I realized that my birth certificate only had my maiden name (duh). This lady was also very, very nice and suggested I go through with everything until the last step of them actually processing the license. I would just need to come back later with my marriage license. I followed her advice and took the vision and written test. Thankfully I passed the written test! Hooray!

After this I was back to the main desk to get yet another number. The lady at the desk must have thought I was crazy! Thankfully she didn't press me for an explanation. I went home for a second time to get my marriage license and then drove back to the DMV again. My number was finally called, and I showed the lady all the documents I had. Success! A mere 3 hours later and I had completed one of my two goals for the morning.

As a bonus, on the way home I did get a smog check for the Pilot that we will need when we go back next week to register it.

A few thoughts kept me laughing at all this during the whole ordeal...
1. As I mentioned before, I don't really have a life right now. The only other thing on my agenda today is a nap.
2. Everyone at the DMV was extremely nice. It changed my idea of DMV workers all being grumpy, mean people.
3. The whole time I was thinking that this would definitely be blog-worthy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "Did you go to the DMV to induce labor?" I am surprised that your water didn't explode!
Mom

Edie Guess said...

I am just wondering that since you didn't blog today - does that mean you are in LABOR?!!! :)

Edie Guess said...

Because if you are then i lose! SO hold it in til the 26th!!!
HEEEE HEEEE

Anonymous said...

Megan, that's a great DMV story and it even has a happy ending. Most I've heard don't without deleted expletives. Keep up the creative writing.

Anonymous said...

We loved your story and had the same experience when we moved from Abluquerque to Washington state. Thanks for the tip on how to respond to your blog. Your stories are just like talking to you. We miss you both.
Bob & Eva

Kelly said...

i'm so glad that you're thinking in terms of blog-worthiness.