There's Treasure Everywhere

A New Development

3 comments
 
 So this happened.

A few weeks ago Joey told me that he was having trouble seeing the board in class. When I mentioned it to Andy he said, "Oh yeah, he told me that too." I was really shocked that Andy hadn't told me, but then Andy said that Joey prefaced the whole conversation with, "I really want glasses!" It was hard to tell if we should take his complaints seriously.

Then a few nights later we were at basketball practice, and Joey didn't recognize his friend standing twenty feet away. It was then I knew we had to take him to the eye doctor. Thankfully Andy had just started his new job, so he signed up our whole family for vision insurance.

While I was driving Joey to his doctor's appointment last week, I told him that he was almost certainly going to get glasses, and he needed to do his best on the eye test so that they could get him the best glasses for his eyes. I was still a little concerned that his overwhelming desire to get glasses would affect his answers. My mom had visions of him purposely getting every question wrong, coming out of his eye test with a cane and a seeing eye dog, and the doctor saying, "Um, he's completely blind."

When he did come out of his eye test, he was absolutely beaming. I knew then that he for sure needed glasses. You've never seen a kid so thrilled to have failed an eye test.

We picked out frames right then and there and were told they would be ready in a week. Turns out it was pretty easy for us to agree on a pair of glasses. We went with Joey's first choice and my second choice, so both of us were happy.

Today we picked up his glasses, and he was thrilled. When we got outside, he loved looking at something without glasses, and then putting his glasses on and seeing the difference. He couldn't believe how clear a tree looked. Without his glasses he said the tree looked like a brown cloud on a pole. He said that now he can see 1,000 times better. He can't wait to go back to school and see the difference. For the past couple of weeks he's had to have the girls that sit next to him tell him what's on the board.

It looks like the gift of sight was an early Christmas present for Joey this year. Now he just needs his two front teeth!

3 comments:

Mom K. said...

Megan,
That was such an excellent post about Joey's glasses. So interesting for him to see the difference! A "brown cloud on a pole!"...oh, my! I liked how you added my daydream. I am telling you that it was a vision and I can see it so clearly that when I am 85 I am going to ask you how Joey is doing with his blindness!
Mom

Two Guys and a Girl said...

He looks great in glasses! Do you or Andy have bad eyes?

Megan said...

Sarah, Andy has had glasses/contacts since 7th grade, so we always knew it was a possibility. I was just hoping our kids would get my perfect vision! :-) It will be interesting to see if the girls end up needing glasses.