There's Treasure Everywhere

Chores

8 comments

I always say that if my parents were to write a parenting book it would have two chapters: "Give Your Kids Lots of Chores" and "Put Your Kids to Bed Early." Andy's parents probably would have written the same book, and Andy and I have always heartily subscribed to these parenting tenets.

I thought I was doing a pretty good job at giving the kids chores, but then I read this awesome book called, "Parenting By the Book." In it the author, John Rosemond, talks about how kids in the 1950's were expected to do a lot more around the house. He said that his mom taught him to mop the floor when he was three. Here I was patting myself on the back for the handful of chores I was giving my kids and my three year old can't even mop the floor. Darn! ;-)

The book did make me realize though that I could be having the kids do a lot more around the house so I upped the chores around here. Let me tell you, it's been amazing! Of course it's been really helpful having them do some of the work around the house, but it's truly incredible what it's done for their attitudes. When the kids are acting a little sassy, rude, entitled, or they are just bickering, I start doling out more chores. It's almost magical how their attitudes improve. Even when the chores are not punishment, but rather just being a part of the family, their attitudes are so much better in general.

At first I was having a little trouble thinking up chores they would be able to do well enough that it would actually be helpful. But after getting ideas from friends and reading online, I typed up this list of chores. This helps when one or both kids needs a little attitude adjustment and I need to think of a chore quickly. Some of these chores the kids do often and some hardly ever so don't worry, this is not a list of their daily chores! :-)

Put clothes from washer into dryer
Put clothes from dryer into laundry basket
Fold/put away (cloth) diapers
Right side out clean socks
Match clean socks
Fold underwear
Put away their own clean clothes
Set the table
Clear the table
Unload the silverware from the dishwasher
Unload the tupperware from the dishwasher
Rinse dishes
Load the dishwasher
Dust
Dustbuster crumbs
Straighten downstairs
Clean baseboards, light switches, door knobs, outlet covers
Windex back door, dishwasher, oven door, refrigerator door
Organize books and videos downstairs
Organize Hannah's kitchen
Take out recycling to the outside bin
Take recycling bin out front/bring it back to the backyard
Make bed
Clean room
Unload groceries from the car
Entertain Ellie
Organize Legos
Water outdoor potted plants
Empty bathroom trash cans

For other ideas, here are three great posts:
10 Chore Ideas for Toddlers
15 Chore Ideas for 4-Year-Olds
20 Chore Ideas for 7-Year-Olds

 Hannah putting the clothes from the washer to the dryer.
Joey rinsing the dishes, and Hannah loading the dishwasher. They alternate these two jobs every night.

Again, I can't tell you what a difference this has made in our house! Joey, especially, is like a new kid. He is much less likely to be testy and rude, and I don't think it's a coincidence that this happened right after I started giving them more chores. I also think that having Joey and Hannah help out so much around the house is what has made this transition to three kids the easiest transition yet.


There are so many funny stories about the kids doing chores, like when they do a chore together and chant, "Teamwork! Teamwork!" Or when I give Hannah a chore and she says, "I love that chore!" or "That chore is my favorite!" Less endearing, but still quite amusing now was the time she flat out refused to fold the diapers and ended up standing in front of the stack for over an hour out of stubbornness until she finally capitulated.

The other day in the bathtub Joey and I were talking about how Ellie is getting so big. He said, "Pretty soon we are going to have three big kids around here. Then you can just sit on the couch and we can do all the chores." The best part is he said it so cheerfully, like it was a great plan. Sounds good to me!!

8 comments:

Stacie said...

I love this blog. I would buy the Krause parenting book!

Kids in Africa do tons of chores from a very early age. Even ones I would consider too dangerous (like cooking over a fire). It makes sense that there is a correlation between doing chores and being respectful.

You have inspired me to do the same with my little one(s). Do chores and go to bed early... end up respectful and better behaved. Sounds like a good plan to me!

Shaping My Heart said...

Wow, I need to get myself some kids!I love this blog and how sweet they are!

Scott and Deb said...

thanks for the inspiration!

tim k said...

Hahahaha this is so awesome. I remember racing rachel unpacking the dishwasher. I had to do the silverware faster than she did the upper level, which I realized a few years after that it's easier doing the upper level anyway. What a schemer...

Kelly said...

i'm just catching up on your blog posts - i just love your family! and i would totally buy a parenting book if you wrote one. you should! i love the idea of some of these chores. kendall and cami do some, but very few. i need to add more! and i love joey's comments about them doing all the chores, and you sitting on the couch. LOVE it! miss you guys!

Mom K. said...

Maybe best post ever! Has Hannah fallen into the washer yet???

Stacie, You may be sitting on the couch sooner than you think while your kids do chores!

Anonymous said...

This is great! I especially love Joey's statement at the end- lol! Once me and my siblings added up all the chores we had to do and realized that we cleaned the ENTIRE house. We complained to our mom that it wasn't fair because she didn't have to do anything, and she said "why do you think I had 4 kids... you guys are my little slaves." ;) This is inspiring though... I think I'm gonna write down that list and keep it on my fridge- what a great idea to give them a chore when they have a bad attitude- lol! This has made me realize that my kids could be doing a whole lot more... I think we should buckle down and start doing things "Lanzone style..." ;) Tami

Cole said...

Rachel and I were brainstorming new chores for our kids and she sent me this list. Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. A few of them were already part of my repertoire, but you have multiple there I never would have thought of. Cleaning doorknobs? Genius! Ours haven't been cleaned in 3 years! I'm just giggling here thinking of all the things they can do for me this afternoon...