I briefly mentioned in a previous post that Andy recently set up an old aquarium he had from high school. After he set it up, he informed me that he had a track record of killing fish. In high school he often forgot to turn off the heater and would roast the poor little guys. This led to his brother giving him the nickname, "The Torch."The tank has been set up for about a month now and was doing really well. Andy decided just to start off with three hardy fish while he adjusted the levels in the aquarium. He tested the water regularly, made sure he didn't feed them too much, and kept careful tabs on the temperature to make sure it didn't get too toasty.
Since Joey and I go to Petco once a week now, we have lots of opportunities to look at all the neat fish. While Andy's three fish (Manny, Moe, and Jack) are hardy, they are not particularly interesting looking. Since the aquarium was doing so well, I thought it would be fun to surprise Andy with three neon tetras. Although they are not as impressive in the picture above, neon tetras have really beautiful colors.
What you also can't tell from the picture above is that besides their bright colors, neon tetras are also known for carrying a disease called, appropriately, the NeonTetra Disease. We soon learned this little tidbit of aquatic information because in two days four of our six fish bit the dust. And so Andy dubbed me, "The Plague." Between the Torch and the Plague, our two remaining fish don't have much of a chance. You might want to pray for them.
3 comments:
I have little success with fish, too.
In high school, I got two black mollies. Apparently my two black mollies were both pregnant when I got them because before too long, I had two fat black mollies. And then I had 32 black mollies. I came down one morning all excited to see 30 babies swimming around, and then I came back that night all disturbed-- I didn't know that black mollies eat their babies, and when I didn't separate the babies from the mommies, I was back down to two black mollies. And even they didn't last long after that.
In college, I had two bettas at different times. The first evidently jumped out of the tank and through the little air hole on the lid. I blamed my roommate for sabotage... and then several weeks later swept a brown fish-shaped rock out from under my desk. That was a sorta-funny disturbing thing. My second betta got a goiter and was plastered to the side of the tank when the goiter got so big it finally exploded. That was especially disturbing... and not so funny. Especially the clean-up.
We love looking at the pretty, colorful, amazing, crazy fish that are in the big tanks at the doctors' offices.
LT-That is so funny. You really were not meant to have fish. :-) I can't believe that you had a fish with a goiter that exploded! Wow!
That story was hilarious! I thought it was going to end peacefully and go on to conclude that Andy had redeemed his "Torch" days... but i guess not!
Post a Comment