There's Treasure Everywhere

A Confession

6 comments
I have a confession to make. Before yesterday, I had never cleaned windows before. Our house in Albuquerque had tons of beautiful windows which were getting kind of dirty. I was tempted to clean them a few times, but I couldn't actually get myself motivated enough to do it.

When we moved into this house, I noticed pretty quickly that some of the windows were just filthy (I actually noticed the windows before I noticed that we had white grout). It was embarrassing. I realized that I was going to have to bite the bullet and actually wash them inside and out.

One reason I think I've always been afraid to wash windows is because Windex and I have never gotten along that well. I think it's false advertising that their label says it's "streak free." I can get my mirrors fairly streak free, but the couple of times I attempted to clean the inside of a window or a glass door, it's looked horrible.

One time I found this fascinating list of uses for vinegar (yes, you are more than welcome to make fun of me for thinking a list about vinegar is fascinating). It had hundreds of uses for vinegar from neutralizing odors to skin care. One of the uses was to spray vinegar on windows and dry with newspaper. It said it worked really well and didn't leave any streaks. Vinegar and newspaper, why not?

Well as you can guess, yesterday was the day all the stars aligned-I put Joey down for a nap right when my window-cleaning motivation kicked in. I took off all the screens, closed the windows, sprayed them with the hose, washed them with a soapy rag, rinsed, and then I was ready for the vinegar and newspaper. The windows were looking pretty good, but it's always hard to see streaks when you are close up. I had a moment of panic when I was sure I would go inside and be surrounded by nasty streaky windows.

The moment of truth came. I went inside and beheld a beautiful sight. Clean, sparkly windows. Ahhh, what a good feeling.

I'm not a pessimistic person, but I'm a little worried it's going to rain really soon. I sure hope not because that definitely could kill my motivation to ever wash windows again.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

that is some confession, megan! i bet you're glad you got that off your chest, huh? just kidding...your danny tanner-ness is very endearing. :)

Megan said...

Kelly, just wait until you're a stay-at-home mom. That's when my nerdiness really started to scare me.

Kelly said...

but you were already quite the neat freak before joey came. i've never at a neat freak streak in me!! but i'm trying.

Megan said...

My mom is going to crack up when she reads that you considered me a neat freak. Unfortunately for her, my neat freak stage didn't come until after I was married. Anyway, I thought you did a great job at keeping your house in Albuquerque neat and clean!!

Kelly said...

that's because you only saw my house when i was expecting company! :)

Megan said...

Exactly! You should be very thankful you never dropped by unexpectedly. You might have encountered a scary sight (at least when I was a working woman).