There's Treasure Everywhere

Hand-Me-Downs

5 comments
I can't tell you how much I love hand-me-downs. We've been super blessed to be the recipients of lots and lots of really nice used items. I am overwhelmed at the generosity of many people in our lives. In fact the other day I was feeding Joey, and Andy and I were laughing because we started noticing all the hand-me-downs around us from Joey's highchair, bib, clothes to all of my clothes, the table and chair where I was sitting, even the large picture frame on the wall.

The past two Sundays we've been invited over to people's houses for lunch, and both times we were given toys for Joey that the families no longer needed. One family gave us this toy with wheels that Joey likes to use kind of like a walker. He's surprisingly good and controlling it while he walks, and doesn't fall flat on his face like I was afraid might happen. This past Sunday he got toy cars. Joey absolutely loves them, and for once he's not just gnawing on them. In between the chewing he's actually pushing them around. How do boys instinctively know how to play with toy cars?

A friend of our family just gave us five large shopping bags overflowing with hand-me-down clothes for Joey. Hooray! They are super nice clothes and are all in excellent condition. This is a picture of one of his new cute outfits. The dark spot is not a stain, he just still spits up every once in a while.


The hand-me-down clothes I wear are a bit of a misnomer since I get them from my younger, but much more fashionable sister. She gives me clothes that she's tired of wearing. Thank goodness I have someone in my life to catch me up with the latest fashions!

Believe it or not even Andy gets hand-me-down clothes. Andy's good friend in college has a step dad that is six foot five and built just like Andy. What are the chances? He is the head of some bank overseas and has sent Andy amazing clothes all in perfect condition. They look like they were made for Andy. In the last big shipment we got 3-4 really nice suits (one was from Nordstrom's and the others were made specifically for this man) and even a tuxedo! Now we just need to find some place where Andy can wear a tuxedo.

Andy and I have been able to save so much money from all the hand-me-downs, and I am hoping that someday we will be able to pass our stuff along and bless someone else. Happily, one opportunity just presented itself. Andy's parents just gave us their microwave because they are making some improvements in their kitchen. Andy installed it last weekend (it's the kind that goes over the stove), and we are giving our old one to my brother when he goes off to grad school. You've got to love the hand-me-down cycle!

5 comments:

Mr. J said...

I think Brent likes Andy's style...

and Andy and I have similar builds. I could use a good suit!

Anonymous said...

What a nice entry and a cute little boy! He looks like he is 2 years old! I think it's the hair!

Megan said...

Mr. J--We would love to give you a suit, but why are you posting on my blog?! You are supposed to be posting pictures of your precious new daughter on your blog. I can't wait to see pictures of little Heidi!

Mom--He does look like a toddle sometimes. I hope when he's two he'll stop spitting up on his new outfits.:-)

Mike said...

When I got to the UK, I was also the recipient of MANY handy things, all of which worked with the 220V and different plugs, including a microwave. I know I saved many hundreds of pounds with all of it, and I expect I'll have another big giveaway at the end!

Anonymous said...

Mike, your hand-me-down/going away party was the best. We LOVE our Calvin and Hobbes books we got from you. I also use your old ice cube trays to make Joey's baby food.