There's Treasure Everywhere

Halloween 2015

4 comments
Before I get to our Halloween night, I have to share this funny story. If you're really just here for the pictures, feel free to scroll down! :-)

A new WinCo grocery store opened up near us and had the cheapest pumpkins in town. I normally just buy one, but they were such a good deal and so nice and big, that I bought two. Then I stopped by WinCo the day before Halloween and there was a sign out front that said all of their pumpkins were FREE! I couldn't believe it! As I was walking in, I happened to walk right by the manager when he was reminding someone about the free pumpkins. I said, "That's the craziest thing I've ever heard." He asked me if I had ever been to WinCo before and I said, "Yeah, about two days ago." He asked me what I thought of it so I teased him and said, "Well, I had to pay for my pumpkins!" Then I laughed, told him I was joking, and said that I loved WinCo already. He asked me how many pumpkins I bought and if I paid $1.98 or $2.98 each. I told him $2.98, but that that was the cheapest I've ever paid for pumpkins so I was super happy about it.  At this point we parted ways as I went to go buy some groceries. A few minutes later he tracks me down in the store and gives me $5.96 in cash. I just started laughing and said, "You are not giving me that money back," but he insisted. I couldn't believe it! Then, on my way out, I picked up three more pumpkins for free! I couldn't wait to tell Andy that we got five free pumpkins, although it meant he had a LOT more pumpkins to carve this year!

The kids were so excited to have FIVE pumpkins, so we basically all picked one to design and Andy and Joey did most of the carving. 
 (From left to right: Andy/Joey, Hannah, Joey, Andy, Me/Ellie-later Ellie painted our pumpkin since she couldn't help with carving it.)

Remember when Joey cried when I made a throwing up pumpkin? Well, this year he requested it! Of course, he wanted Andy to carve it, not me! Joey actually designed and carved the pumpkin on the left. I love the side smile!

Ellie decided that she didn't want to be Fancy Nancy again, so she got this old Sleeping Beauty costume out of the dress up box. I still have a bunch of orange hair spray leftover, so I told Joey and Hannah that next year they should wear the same costumes, but we can spray their hair orange and they can be Ron and Ginny Weasley! They aren't totally on board with that idea, but I have a year to try to convince them!

Hermione and her best friend Catwoman!

Sleeping Beauty and our neighbor Maleficent!

We had a little potluck with some neighbors, and then we took off trick-or-treating. The older kids love to run ahead and race from house to house. All the parents kind of just walk down the middle of the street while the kids dart from door to door. Ellie isn't fast enough to stick with the big kids, so she and Andy went at their own pace. She loved it because she got to knock on every door and say trick-or-treat all by herself. Andy loved it because he got some sweet one-on-one time with her. She was very conscientious and said, "Gank you" every time she got candy. Sometimes she even said "Gank you" when no one was there and there was just a bowl of candy to pick from.

Another great Halloween!

4 comments:

Bubba said...

That's the best family pumpkin collection I've ever seen. The cat one turned out much better than years past.

Mom K. said...

Can you tell us who designed which from left to right? I actually love the polka dot one and think that is maybe your design.
I love the pic of Ellie by her self at a door..so precious.
How great to have a Maleficent to match her!
Loved the WinCo story...that is kind of unbelievable!

Megan said...

Good idea, Mom...I'll update it to add that...

Mom K. said...

I have never seen a polka dot pumpkin...thought it was you...I love it. Cute cat from Hannah and the sidewards smile was so creative!