There's Treasure Everywhere

Ice Skating!

2 comments

Friday was our last official day of summer. We were going to go to the beach all day, but then our friends invited us to go ice skating with them because they had a Groupon that was about to expire. The kids had never been ice skating before, and they were a little surprised that they needed to get bundled up for it. When we got out of the car it was a little cloudy and Ellie said, "You're right! It IS cold here." Ha! 


Since the kids had never been ice skating before, I was so glad to find out that you could rent little walkers made out of PVC pipe. Hannah used it a little, but Ellie really needed it anytime she skated. 



Joey, on the other hand, roller blades enough that ice skating was easy for him to get the hang of.



Ellie needed help ice skating even with the walker. At first when I would push her from behind, she would try to skate and her feet would go slip sliding all around. Eventually she just kept her feet still and I would push her. It was much more fun that way because we could go a lot faster. Thankfully for her mom's back, she took lots of breaks where she sat with Mrs. Warner and watched.


Here are five of the kids that went: Sylvia (6), Hannah (7), Ellie (4), Joey (8) and Joey (9). Lucy (3) and Christoper (9 months) weren't pictured. Turns out Christopher is not much of an ice skater! ;-)



I was a little worried about how the kids would do their first time ice skating. The kids tend to get easily frustrated when learning something new that doesn't come super easily. Of course, I blame this on their father! ;-) I tried to prepare them a little and reminded them to have patience with themselves while they were learning. I was SO proud of them. They all had a great attitude no matter how often they fell down or how much they struggled.


In celebration of our last day of summer and their awesome perseverance ice skating, we went to Chick-fil-A for lunch!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved all your vacation posts! Looks like such a great time! I can't believe you are back at school tomorrow!

Unknown said...

This is Papa J: Megan, couldn't agree with you more. Ice skating is an acquired activity. Some people acquire it faster than ever so your kids' good attitude comes from good parents. Prejudice aside, these kids are the cutest, sweetest, and of course talented kids, along with Henry Franklin, I've ever seen! Just sayin'!