I'm not going to lie, when Andy first called to tell me, I burst into tears. Yahoo has been a dream job in every sense of the word. So many times he has talked about how much he loves his job. I was so sad for him that it only lasted a little over a year.
Although we are disappointed, we are not stressed or anxious. We know that the Lord has a plan, and we are content to trust in Him. It's very comforting to know that He is in control.
So we had this conversation at the dinner table one night:
Andy: So, guys, I found out this week that Yahoo decided to close the office in Carlsbad so I won't be working there anymore. I'll need to find a new job.
Hannah: Will we have to move?
Me: Good question! We don't know if we'll have to move.
Andy: It depends on where I find my next job.
Me: Daddy's last day of work at Yahoo will be October 27th, Joey's birthday.
Joey: My birthday?! So my birthday is going to be during the week?
Andy: Yes.
Joey: Great! That way I can have my birthday at school. Can we go to the Legoland Hotel for my birthday?
Andy, Me: No.
Joey: But they have an elevator that's like a disco party.
Me: Do you guys have any other questions?
Joey: Yeah! So, what do you think I should do for my birthday?
Later, Hannah praying for Andy...
Hannah: Lord, please help Daddy get a new job. One that's purple [Ed: like Yahoo]. Or yellow. Or red. Or any of the colors of the rainbow, like blue or green. Or white.
In addition to Andy being laid off, we had a couple of other weird things happen. On Monday we were in the midst of a heat wave, so the kids and I met my parents at the beach after school. When we got back to our car, a guy playing beach volleyball came over and told me that someone had hit our car and driven off. Apparently, a couple walking by got the guy's license number and said they would report it. I filled out a police report online, but so far those witnesses haven't called in with the guy's license number. That was a bummer.
Then on Wednesday night I was cleaning the kitchen downstairs while Andy was getting the kids ready for bed. Ellie came downstairs and was running toward me holding her blanket. She tripped over her blanket and face-planted right into the corner of the wall. She busted her lip and chipped three top teeth! We've done stitches before with Joey and Hannah, but chipped teeth was a new experience. It turns out that it's not that big of a deal. We just have to wait a couple of weeks for her lip and gums to heal, and then they can add a composite to her teeth to make them even again.
Our little hockey player!
Our week had some definite bright spots. Due to an intense heat wave (Weather.com said it was 109 degrees here on Monday!), we had a couple of great trips to the beach. We also got together with an old teaching friend of mine who was visiting with her husband from Albuquerque. Thankfully, they love vacationing in Carlsbad, so we have gotten to visit with them the past few summers.
Overall it was a strange week, although you know what they say, when it rains it pours! Hopefully the same will be true about job offers! ;-)
5 comments:
What an unsettling week. You guys have a great attitude about it. I will be praying for you all during this time, especially for a new, wonderful job that Andy loves.
Hannah's prayer is SO SWEET. Sometimes I think Hannah is so old, but when I read things like that I remember how little she still is. What a doll.
That IS a weird week! They say things come in 3s, and yours definitely did! I'm laughing at Joey. Typical of a kid to completely miss the point of the conversation!! :o)
Wow! What a lot of things to happen in one week! We SO miss you guys and think of you often. Maybe the Lord will lead you to Seattle??? Lots of good tech jobs up here! ;-) We'll be praying for Andy and your family! Miss you guys!
I've been sending good thoughts your way....hoping Andy's job hunt is going well!
~Valerie
Post a Comment